Baby Packages

New Parents

A baby package is available to new parents free of charge in hard copy format.

Below is a list of the package contents as well as links to download PDF versions of each publication where available. Click on the links below to download. (You will need Adobe Reader to view).

Canadian Down Syndrome Information

Membership ApplicationPamphlets

A Checklist for Parents of a Child with Down Syndrome (recommendations only):

Contact some of the following Early Intervention Programs:

  • Children First: 519-250-1850 |
    Children First provides services to families with children birth to 6 years who have special needs. These needs may include developmental and mental health. It is a community based non-profit agency. Staff includes speech/language pathologists, social workers, occupational therapists, physiotherapists, psychologists, and resource consultants. Parents may self refer.
  • John McGivney Children’s Centre: 519-252-7281
    For children up to 21 years of age who have special needs. Services may include: speech/language therapy, physiotherapy and occupational therapy. They have a preschool program for children 18 months to 6 years old.
  • Connections Early Years Family Centre:  519-252-0636 |
    Offering the following programs:

    • Talk 2 Me: For children up to 5 years of age. Services may include: speech/language assessment, educational workshops and parent intervention programs.  This service is not in addition to the services provided by JMCC or Children First.
    • Be Back Soon: Parents may drop off their children for short, supervised stays. For example, doctor appointments.
    • Ontario Early Years Centre: Free stay and play drop-in centres where parents can participate in early learning activities with their children.
    • Parenting Courses and Groups
    • Infant Hearing Screening
    • Blind Low Vision Program
    • Dads Matter

Request a referral to a Pediatrician to get a full medical evaluation to rule out any medical causes for delays. Many medical conditions may co-exist with Down syndrome

  • Ask your pediatrician about the Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) shot that every baby with Down syndrome is medically covered to receive through Met Hospital for the first 2 years of life during the winter months.

Apply for all government grants. See what’s available online at

  • Family Respite Services: Respite support services are provided to enhance the quality of life for children with various disabilities.
  • SSAH-Special Services At Home: 519-254-1651 Helps children with developmental disabilities and their families by providing monthly funding to purchase services and supports.
  • ACSD-Assistance for Children with Severe Disabilities provides financial help to assist with some of the extra costs of caring for a child with a disability. Financial and medical criteria must be met.
  • Disability Tax Credit is for people who have a severe and prolonged mental or physical disability. Form T2201.
  • Disabled Person Parking Permit-DPPP: You may qualify for this permit. Form to be completed by a Physician

Other Funding Options:

  • Easter Seals: 519-944-0044 Ext.223
    • For children 3 years of age and up with incontinence issues. Funding is provided for supplies. Receipts for supplies must be submitted annually. See your family doctor to complete necessary paperwork.
    • Access2 Card covers the cost of a Support Person while attending a movie with a card holding member. Accessible entertainment at Cinemas throughout Canada.

Investigate recreational programs and services:

  • Nursery schools, Preschools and Daycare for socialization in language rich environments.
  • Winstars: 519-972-1397
    • Private gymnastics sessions by Melinda Outram are available on request. Can be very helpful in helping children with Down syndrome with gross motor development and strengthening.
  • Windsor/Essex Therapeutic Riding Association:
  • SPEQTRA Special Equestrian Therapeutic Riding Association: 519-322-2463
  • City of Windsor Parks and Rec. offers a 10% discount for special needs children
  • Check out the local community rec. centre in your area, many offer parent and baby swimming, yoga and stroller fitness classes.
  • Mother Care-Support for New Moms (Paramed Health Services): 519-966-5200. Personal Support Workers provide support by doing a variety of tasks such as; meal preparation, prepare formula, light housekeeping, care for older children and assist mom with infant care. Fees do apply.

Parent Support Groups:

  • Up About Down: 519 973-6486
    • Our members are divided into the following age groups: Newborn – 5 years, 6 – 12 years, 13 – 21 years, and 22 + (Adults). Connections are made with other parents through events and activities planned by the group leaders of each age group.
  • Windsor-Essex Family Network: 519-974-1008
    • Become a member for $10 per year and receive newsletters and workshop information.
    • The UAD Resource Library is located at this facility and our extensive collection of materials are available for borrowing and researching.
  • Ensemble:  519-776-6486, Ext. 225 or Email:
    • Connecting parents with parents of children with special needs.
    • Provides workshops and webinars.

Planning for the Future

  • Contact a lawyer to establish a will with a “Discretionary Trust” (Henson Trust) left for your child.
  • RDSP (Registered Disability Savings Plan)
    • Contact your Financial Institution to discuss setting up a RDSP for your child. The RDSP was introduced in 2008 and some Financial Institutions have more experience than others.